Theme Verse

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
-Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

"Ya te lo he ordenado: ¡Sé fuerte y valiente! ¡No tengas miedo ni te desanimes! Porque el SEÑOR tu Dios te acompañará dondequiera que vayas."
-Josué 1:9 (NVI)


Sunday, July 18, 2010

Guacamole for Breakfast

¡Hola de Costa Rica!

It's still hard to believe I'm really here! Yesterday was a long day of traveling, but I made it through with no problems, and met some really nice people traveling to Costa Rica for various reasons. My host mom Ana picked me up at the airport, and we took a taxi to her house. She runs a party rental store out of the front of her house--a garage-like room--that rents out chairs and tables and things for parties. I have my own room and my own bathroom. I even have a t.v. in my room. Last night she asked me if I liked television, and I said yeah, so she said, "Ok, we'll put a tv in your room." I watched some last night while I was unpacking. They have several channels from the US that are either dubbed in Spanish or have Spanish subtitles, as well as lots of Costa Rican channels. I saw a bit of "Phineas and Ferb" in Spanish, which made me laugh. The best part is that this house has internet, so I'm able to check my email and everything, which is great.

Last night Ana and I went to the supermarket (think a slightly smaller version of WalMart in Spanish) and ate at the little cafeteria there, then went shopping for some fruits, veggies, milk, and other stuff. We came home and I unpacked, and then hung out with her and her sister, who I think runs the business with her, while they set up for a party. Normally she just rents party stuff, but her sister's son is getting married soon, and they're having a party for his engagement? wedding? (I haven't quite figured it out yet) here this afternoon.

I understand about half of what people are saying. Sometimes I understand more, and usually I can figure out what they're talking about, but not really what they're saying about it. Like the party thing. I know that it's this afternoon, it's for Ana's nephew, and it has something to do with the fact that he's getting married.

It's a little overwhelming, knowing that I'm really far away from home, and I'm going to be here for almost five months, and not being able to fully communicate with anybody. It's intimidating, and God is good. Everyone is really nice, and they're patient with my Spanish and very helpful.

I almost forgot to tell you what I had for breakfast: Pan, or bread, that was kind of like French bread, with guacamole, tomato, and deli ham. Not necessarily what I would have chosen to eat for breakfast, but not bad. I think that sums up my experience so far: a little different, but not bad; something I think I'll get used to. In the words of Annie, "I think I'm gonna like it here." :)

Until next time,
Holly

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So glad to hear you've arrived safely and that your host family is so nice! Enjoy your great adventure. I'm praying for you and think of you often. Lots of love, Aunt K

    ReplyDelete