Theme Verse

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
-Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

"Ya te lo he ordenado: ¡Sé fuerte y valiente! ¡No tengas miedo ni te desanimes! Porque el SEÑOR tu Dios te acompañará dondequiera que vayas."
-Josué 1:9 (NVI)


Friday, November 26, 2010

4 Things I'll Miss and 4 Things I Won't

Things I'm going to miss about Costa Rica:
1. The people. I've made some great friends here among the other ISEP students and the young people at Bible Study, and I'm really going to miss them. Also, my host family, who have been amazing.
2. Speaking Spanish. It's going to be weird to walk down the street and hear English, or sit in church or in classes and be able to understand everything that's being said.
3. The food. It's pretty much amazing. Most of the time. I think my favorites are Gallo Pinto (which is rice and beans and other stuff, eaten for breakfast with eggs) and Arroz con Pollo (rice and chicken, served with ketchup and with potato chips on the side). The pastries are also pretty good, and so is the chocolate. Not to mention granizados...
4. Coffee. The coffee here is just so good, and I don't know if the coffee back home will measure up...


Things I will not miss about Costa Rica:
1. ¡Upe! This is the word people use when they're calling at someone's house to see if they're home. And since my host mom runs a business from her house, and since my room is at the front of the house, I hear this all. the. time. It's especially annoying when the sign clearly says closed, and nobody's home, and I have to go try to explain to people, that no, I cannot rent them anything. I'm sorry, we're closed.
2. Piropos. This refers to the comments that guys make to girls in the street. It's very common for men to say "linda" or "guapa" (pretty and good-looking) or to honk or whistle. It's not always meant to be rude, it's just a part of the culture and they mean it as a compliment. But sometimes it's just annoying and even downright creepy. I once had a guy make a kissy face at me from a truck. That's one thing I definitely will not miss.
3. Rice. Even though the food is really good, and I like rice, after over four months of having rice pretty much every day, I'm okay with not eating rice for a very long time. Although if I make Costa Rican food I'll probably eat it, I don't know if I'll be able to eat it otherwise.
4. Speaking Spanish. I know, I also put this as something I'll miss, and I will. But it will also be really nice to be able to explain myself or tell a story without having to think really hard, and to be able to follow a conversation, and to be able to know what is going on in my classes. Yeah. That'll be nice. :)
5. I know I said 4, but I just though of this one: Finding cockroaches in my shower. They were small ones, and it only happened a few times, but still. Ew. (shudder)

No comments:

Post a Comment